Te Whare Ra
Te Whare Ra, the „house in the sun“, is the oldest boutique winery in Marborough. Established 1979 in Renwick, it has the oldest Riesling, Chardonnay and Gewürztraminer vines in Marlborough.
In 2003, Te Whare Ra was purchased by the husband and wife winemaker team Anna and Jason Flowerday. Anna is a 6th generation winegrower from McLaren Vale in Australia and Jason is a 3rd generation kiwi winegrower with both parents and grandparents in the NZ wine industry.
Their aim is to grow great quality fruit which is balanced in all its components, and which requires minimal winemaking intervention once they get it in the winery. This means a cropping level which is strictly controlled. Anna and Jason do selective crop thinning at several key times during the growing season across all varieties, as well as very detailed canopy management.
There also is a big focus on soil health in the management of their 14ha vineyard. This is achieved through old school farming, composting, biodynamic preparations, selected mixed grasses in mid rows and looking after bees and biodiversity.
Te Whare Ra is considered to be one of the prime producers of quality wines in Marlborough.
Reviews & Accolades:
- Top Wineries of New Zealand 2018 & 2019 & 2020 & 2021 – Bob Campbell MW
- NZ Viticulturist of the Year 2020 – Gourmet Traveller Wine
- NZ Winery of the Year 2014 - Raymond Chan
- Fine Wines of NZ List 2020 (2018 Toru, 2017 Riesling D)
- “Aromatic white wines and Te Whare Ra are synonymous with the phrase ‘high quality’.
- They just seem to nail it all the time. Organic grown, made by legends” – Mike Bennie @ Wine Front