Blank Canvas is the vinous studio of winemaking duo, international winemaking consultant Matt Thomson, and Master of Wine Sophie Parker-Thomson. Seeking out exceptional single vineyard sites throughout New Zealand, Matt and Sophie craft distinctive and exciting small-batch wines that are the culmination of decades of global wine industry experience.
With over 50 vintages and 27 years of winemaking around the globe, Matt Thomson is one of the world’s high profile flying winemaker. In 2016, he has created his own wine label. That experience, together with his degree in biochemistry, has given Matt a clear vision as to what constitutes good wine and how to make it. Together with business partner and wife Sophie Parker-Thomson, Matt is striving to achieve the unique winemaking fusion between art and science, pushing the boundaries to capture a unique expression.
Blank Canvas allows Matt and Sohpie to take a few risks and make wines that they like to drink. Their collective goal is to create distinctive small-batch, single vineyard wines that reflect the best sub-regional sites in New Zealand.
The Blank Canvas philosophy embraces using as little manipulation as possible to uphold, over everything else, the wine’s sense of place. Wine-making influence from Europe is genuine, with both Matt and Sophie undertaking vintage in the Northern Hemisphere every year.
Reviews & Accolades:
- “Matt has been one of the world’s most eminent ‘flying winemakers’for over 20 years.” – UK Critic and journalist Tom Cannavan
- “Matt Thomson has an excellent reputation as a wine-maker who has made top class New Zealand wine”– Raymond Chan
- ToTop Wineries of New Zealand 2018 & 2019 & 2020 & 2021 – Bob Campbell MW
- International White Wine Winemaker of the Year 2008 - IWC
- “This has to be the best Marlborough Pinot I have tasted.” – Julia Harding MW, JancisRobinson.com