Established in 1896, Te Mata Estate remains family owned, producing internationally recognized wines exclusively from its Hawke’s Bay vineyards. Te Mata has New Zealand’s oldest working vineyards of
chardonnay and cabernet.
Te Mata Estate was originally part of Te Mata Station, a large pastoral land-holding established by English immigrant, John Chambers, in 1854. A homestead and stables were built on the property in the early 1870’s. After returning from France, John Chamber’s third son, Bernard, had the idea to plant vineyards on the north-facing hills around Havelock North. In 1892, Bernard Chambers planted vines on three parcels of hillside land above the homestead and began converting the original stables to ferment and mature these first Te Mata Estate Wines. Today, Te Mata Estate still uses those same three vineyards.
The Chambers family sold the property in 1919. Te Mata Vineyards was established, and the property had two other owners until it was acquired by the Buck and Morris families in 1974 – the two families behind the modern interpretation of this historic New Zealand estate. 165ha is planted across four Hawke’s Bay sub-regions.
The Mata is a specialist in full-bodied red wines. Red wines make 70% of the production. The most famous wines is the Coleraine, which is a New Zealand icon wine.