Black Estate is a family owned winery in Waipara, North Canterbury with three north-facing hillside vineyards with clay and a diverse range of limestone soils.
Owned and run by Nicholas Brown and Pen Naish Black Estate wish to capture the truest expression of each site's character in the bottle so to make wine that is truly original and memorable. Black Estate is one of the region‘s top producers and runs one of the best winery restaurants in the country.
The Black Estate Vineyards
- Home: The slope is a north facing sedimentary clay fan on a gentle hill side slope. The soils are mainly Awapuni clay loam with calcium carbonate deposits.
- Damsteep: lay overlying fractured limestone and sandstone soils.
- Netherwood: Waipara Greensand (green grey richly glauconitic sandstone)
Rooted in Rudolf Steiner teachings, Black Estate sees each of the three vineyards in a holistic way. All the elements that make up the vineyards are considered, and how they interact and make one healthy, vital whole. The vines, fields, forests, animals, plants, soils, compost, people and the spirt of the place are equally important. When all considered, the sites can build their own sustaining natural rhythms.
Reviews & Accolades:
- One of Waipara’s top Pinot producers & Top Wineries of New Zealand 2018 & 2019 & 2020 & 2021 – Bob Campbell MW
- “The single standout wine was a Chardonnay (New Zealand’s strongest suit, in my view), the 2016 from the Home Vineyard of Black Estate in North Canterbury” – Jancis Robinson MW
- One of New Zealand’s finest pinot noirs producer – Matthew Jukes & Tyson Stelzer