Te Awanga Estate
Te Awanga Estate is the passion of Hawke’s Bay winemaking veteran Rod McDonald and a family-owned wine business. Everything Rod and his team does are based on their love for making wine and reflects the love for the place they call home - Hawke’s Bay. With enduring energy and drive, they are seeking to make world class wines.
Te Awanga Estate farm around 70 hectares of three very different vineyards in the Hawke’s Bay. The coastal Te Awanga Estate is home base, home vineyard and cellar door.
Te Awanga vineyard was planted 25 years ago by a group of friends in one of Hawke's Bay's oldest wine growing areas. They dreamt of making the region's greatest wines.
But Rod’s breadth of vision and reach encompasses the wider Hawke’s Bay region, and Te Awanga Estate sources fruit from company owned vineyards in Bridge Pa and Maraekakaho, and a number of specific ‘small blocks’ in other districts. This varied landscape provides an environment in which to grow a number of varieties for an array of wine styles.
Te Awanga Estate has a number of sibling brands: ‘Quarter Acre’, ‘Mister’, and the flagship ‘Trademark’ wines.
Reviews & Accolades:
- Top Wineries of New Zealand 2018 & 2019 & 2020 & 2021 – Bob Campbell MW
- Contender for ‘Winery of the Year 2018. “Rod McDonald’s Te Awanga Estate brands also flirt with greatness” – Raymond Chan
- Wine Label Design Award Bronze 2017 - IWSC London
- Quarter Acre 2015 Syrah - winner of IWC Best Red Wine of Show 2017
- Master Wine Maker Top 100 2019 - Drinks Business Magazine, UK